Thursday, May 7, 2009

TRYING to Ride WITHOUT Training Wheels...HA!


Since one of our classmates at school has recently learned to ride his bike without training wheels, Mr. D has been insisting that we take his extra wheels off too!!!! (Though this friend is almost a year and a half older than my two, A & D seem to think they are the same age and can do anything he can do...I'm thinking of a song here.) Well, with a trip to the store to pick of some major reinforcements, knee pads, elbow pads and hand protectors, not to mention a new helmet that fits better, Little Miss A decided she was ready too...for the gear anyway. After that purchase, we were ready to go. As soon as we got home, the kids got their gear on and Daddy started taking off the extra wheels. Mr. D was SO gung ho about it!!! However, he did NOT want anyone to let go of the seat. Daddy started out with him and was getting the third degree about the importance of "not letting go" of the bike! So I took him out for a spin, again with the lecture, but I was letting go here and there and he was actually doing okay. BUT as soon as I told him he was actually doing it on his own he freaked. Thankfully I grabbed D before he fell off the bike, but that was IT! Those of you that have been around my bouncing baby boy know the "Mr Dead Man" routine. It was in full force on the neighbors lawn. HILARIOUS!!! Daddy and I were trying so hard not to laugh.
After all that drama, it was Little Miss A's turn. Of course seeing the hullaballoo that was D's reaction to riding a bike, you can probably guess what her reaction was. "NOPE!!!! Not gonna do it. I don't think I'll ride my bike anymore." Great.

So, we began the day with two very excited kids and ended the experience with two children that may never get back on. How do you encourage them to keep trying...read the Little Engine that Could? Is that the typical teacher response?

No comments: