Saturday, October 9, 2010

Marathon Kids Update...

Our after school running program takes place at school and is completely run by parent volunteers. One of the coaches is one of neighbors and friends. Miss T told me this morning that she heard all about Mr. D over dinner. Apparently, he was the fastest Kindergartner to run in to the finish line and even beat quite a few first graders and even some second graders as well. AWESOME!!!!

Mr. D ALWAYS has an abundance of energy, I swear there are days I wish I could bottle it up and use it for myself. :) However, Tuesdays are crazy. Mr. D has recess (30 minutes of running), this particular Tuesday he also had PE (50 more minutes of running), Marathon Kids (an hour of running) and soccer practice in the evening (another hour of running). He was exhausted and crashed hard!!!! Tuesdays are now super crazy.

The week went along just fine, but Friday night we were out to dinner with friends and Daddy had to leave early with D to take him to the after hours clinic...he as WAILING in pain about his legs. (Not a common reaction for Mr. D who never really cries about anything...that's how you know he's serious.) Thankfully, we were with friends and Daddy could take D and Little Miss A and I could grab the check and head out separately with M and G. Mr. G was right...leg cramps. Apparently, he wasn't hydrated enough. I didn't think we'd see that kind of issue (to that severity) that much AFTER the intense day of running. So we are now taking along extra water bottles on Tuesdays and I have other coach friends watching Mr. D reminding him while he's outside to drink more water. Another friend suggested extra potassium. Unfortunately, bananas are one of Mr. D's LEAST favorite foods. So we are looking for other potassium rich alternatives that we can send for an after school snack before the real Marathon Kids running begins. Whole Foods and REI, here we come in search of "real" athletic remedies! :) LOL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They do make potassium pills. I used to cramp a lot during my racing days. I too hated bananas. That was soooo hard to watch him cry in pain. Felt so helpless:(