Monday, June 28, 2010

Spanish Camp

The kids attended their first afternoon of summer camp today. When I dropped them off, I was realizing (for the millionth time) how great it is to have a twin. In a class of all incoming kindergarten kiddos, a little girl began tearing up telling her Mom she was scared. Of course the teacher was quick to help, but Little Miss A and Mr. D were cool as cucumbers. I don't know if this was necessarily because they had one another or just that they are already so accustomed to the school environment. (The school they are in for camp is another in-district campus set up identically to the school we were at last year, so they walked the halls like they owned the place even though they'd never set foot inside the building prior to today.) It was so cute, they each had their own desk with a cute little name tag waiting for them.

When I picked the kids up, they both said "adios" to their teacher and waved good-bye then set off down the hallway like this was any other day. I asked Little Miss A and Mr. D what they learned. D...silence. A "I learned to say adios, that means good-bye." After that statement, D says "Hey, I learned where they gym is!!!!! Let me show you." Did I mention this campus was a total twin to our last school and that he already knew where the gym was? To that I ask, "Do you know what to call it in Spanish?" "Uh, no...but it's fun." That's my boy...

With additional probing this evening, we realized the kids remembered their numbers as well. (Thank heavens since they've known those for a while now.) Little Miss A also recalled singing and dancing with "funny hats" and Mr. D said "muy bien" but said he forgot what it meant. Since I took French class in middle/high school it looks like my kids are going to be teaching me some things this week. :)

1 comment:

Jill said...

Where are you doing that? We are doing theatre camp next week! JM is so excited!