Monday, August 23, 2010

Our First Kindergarten Homework Project (X2)

The kids received their first project at open house. I totally procrastinated it over the weekend, vowing to spend the last few days of summer, not yet thinking about school. Denial perhaps? So, we stayed in my classroom after school and got to work. They needed to complete a blank cut out image and turn it into themselves. "What do you want to teach your classmates about yourself?" The kids already knew what they wanted to do.
Little Miss A wanted to let her class know that she is going to be trying cheer this year. She also wanted to draw her purple cast to tell her friends that she broke her arm. (Referring to the right arm fracture just before she turned 18 months old...not at all recent, but this is her assignment.) She told me what she wanted it to look like and I sketched it out. She colored and decorated the rest then found the materials she wanted to use for the hair, eyes (with lashes of course) and pom poms. I put hot glue where she wanted it and she put everything in place.
Mr. D wanted to share with his class how excited he is about soccer this year. Like Little Miss A, Mr. D told me what he wanted it to look like and I sketched it out for him as well. When I asked why he wanted to the number 26 on the jersey, he said "Cuz it's the best number!" He colored and decorated on his own. Selecting beads for cleats and dotting a big white pom pom with black specks all over it to look like a soccer ball. So he could show himself kicking a soccer ball. "I'm the best kicker, that's why." He found the biggest set of googlie eyes that I had and said he needed the biggest ones since his eyes are big. I love it. :)

What a fun project! I loved hearing the kids plan it all out and brainstorm materials. Next time I just won't wait until the night before it's due to get them started. (Sheesh, what have I been teaching my own students all these years?)

1 comment:

Mrs. Bailey said...

how fun! :) the first of many projects to come! :) love it! :)