Saturday, November 8, 2008

Time Out vs Clean Up

You know you need to start revamping consequences when the consequence is chosen over the desired behavior.

The kids made a GIANT mess with the packing peanuts this morning. Upon clean up time, after SEVERAL re-directions to continue the clean up process, I told the kids that they could either make good choice and clean up their mess or they could go to time out. Little Miss A happily walks herself to our time out spot, sits down and says "I think I'll just go to time out then."

After that failed, Daddy tells A maybe you should go to your room instead. To that D says "Okay, I'll go to my room!"

So now we have a giant mess of packing peanuts all over the house and one child voluntarily sitting in time out and the other happily sitting in his room.

Maybe the idea of losing our play date today with be the kick in the pants these monsters need to make good choices. Sheesh!

1 comment:

Mrs. Bailey said...

ha. you are in trouble! :) j/k! :) they are smart kids! :) guess they got mommy's brains! :)
we're going to have to get creative with punishments! :) (add that to our list - we'll write a book on it!) :)