Tonight (while still at school) Mr. D asked "Mommy, why are we always the last ones to leave? I just want to go home!" CRUSHED!!!! This is truly the busiest/craziest time of the year for me . I haven't had a single break from kids since the second day of school, no lunch, nothing...I'm telling you, crazy. Anyway, even after a completely full day, I have still been staying late to catch up from the mounting paperwork that accumulates during the day so I can continue with the next round the following day and not begin completely snowed under. With so many kids this year, I have been trying to use my entire school day to just see as many kiddos as I can, then playing catch up after school. I keep looking at these students that I am working with as if they were my own...if Little Miss A and Mr. D were to be going through this process themselves, I would want them to be identified prior to classes starting so they could begin the first day with all the other kids.
It was D's comment tonight, however, that put everything in perspective for me. Of course, we left immediately after. Even though, I have had the best of intentions, my focus obviously needs to shift! Apparently, I need to force myself to take breaks during the day to sort/sift/score paperwork as I go so that I am not spending my evenings with school rather than my own sweet kids. Granted, A & D are there with me and we can interact while I am trying to be as efficient as possible, but they shouldn't be competing for my attention when their evening time is so limited nowadays anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment